From Hilversum to Bremen
The glider flying team had finally arrived on Wednesday afternoon at La Motte du Caire (see previous part). with the weather outlook not particularly good between The Netherlands and the French Alps, and The Netherlands for the weekend, René cancelled the plans to fly to Sisteron.
On Thursday René took his bi-annual training flight at Hilversum airfield.
Together with Joris we returned the plane to Paderborn-Lippstadt on Friday, but not before we first made a visit to Bremen. On the way, between Lelystad and Groningen, we heard two planes on the radio announcing that they were returning to Lelystad because of the weather. They probably stayed below the scattered to broken low clouds.
Joris at the controls
Joris and René at Bremen airport
René with the Junkers W33 Bremen
The Bremenhalle inside the airport hosts a little aviation and space exploration museum, displaying the first Spacelab module and the Junkers W33 Bremen. The Junkers is the original plane that accomplished the first flight from Europe to North America in 1928 (see also this 1928 silent newsreel ).
More information of the Bremen flight can be found on the page about Hugo Junkers.
Travelling from Bremen airport to the city centre
From the airport, there is a tram line (6) directly to the old city. Tickets can be purchased from a ticket machine at the station. A one way ticket to Bremen is €2.80 (2019).
Bremen airfield in the old days
Bremen airport is only 3.5 km south of the centre of the city, and dates back to the early 20th century. A local aerospace club, conducted the first experimental flights at the present site in the summer of 1910, on what was then the parade ground of the local garrison. In 1923, the aeroplane manufacturer Focke-Wulf was founded on a site adjacent to the airfield.
Bremen's Markt is dominated by the ornate and imposing Rathaus, which was erected in 1410. The Weser Renaissance balcony in the middle, crowned by three gables, was added between 1595 and 1618. In front of the Rathaus is one of the hallmarks of Bremen, the city's 13m-high Knight Roland statue (1404).
Dom St Petri
Bremen's Dom St Petri is situated on the northeastern side of Markt. Construction began in 1041 in the style of an early Gothic basilica on the site of Bremen's original wooden cathedral that was located here in the late 8th century. Today's stone incarnation was given ribbed vaulting inside, chapels and its two high towers in the 13th century.
Joris with the Town musicians
The Town Musicians of Bremen (1951) by the sculptor Gerhard Marcks depicts a dog, cat and rooster, one on top of the other, on the shoulders of a donkey. The donkey's nose and front legs are incredibly shiny after being touched by visitors for good luck.
Joris in the Böttcherstraße
The name Böttcherstrasse derives from the coopers (böttcher) who used to live and work there. At the start of the 20th century, Ludwig Roselius, a local coffee merchant, began to buy up all the houses in the dilapidated street. He then had it completely rebuilt, resulting in a creation that is a mixture of art deco and brick-built styles that has a special charm all of its own.
Bremen's oldest district, the Schnoor quarter, is a maze of lanes lined with little 15th and 16th century houses. This part of Bremen's centre was once its maritime quarter and then its red-light district. Over the years, however, the district transmogrified into a quaint maze of restaurants, cafes and boutique shops.
The Böttcherstraße commemorates several first-time west to east or east to west Atlantic Ocean crossings by ship, airship or fixed-wing aircraft.
Condor Berlin-New York Flight
Commemorative Plaque Condor flight
In the Böttcherstraße there is a plaque commemorating the the first land-based passenger aircraft to fly over the Atlantic, non-stop between Berlin and New York City. The aircraft was a Focke-Wulf Fw 200 Condor, built at the Focke-Wulf Flugzeugbau in Bremen. The Condor, registered D-ACON of the original Deutsche Lufthansa, took off from Berlin Tempelhof Airport on August 10, 1938.
Fw 200 Condor at Floyd Bennett Field
On August 11, 1938, the Condor landed at Floyd Bennett Field in New York just under 25 hours after taking-off. Thousands of people gathered at Floyd Bennett Field to watch the Lufthansa aircraft landing. The flight set a new world record for non-stop distance and speed for a land-based passenger aircraft. The return trip on 13 August 1938 took 19 hours and 47 minutes.
The Glockenspiel House (Haus des Glockenspiels) is a building in the Böttcherstraße. The carillon of 30 Meissner porcelain bells lodged between the gables was added in 1934, maintaining a medieval tradition. As the carillon chimed, 10 coloured wooden panels with reliefs of famous seafarers and aviators come into view as they rotate inside the tower ().
Haus des Glockenspiels
Sights of Bremen
From Bremen to Paderborn
After we visited Bremen, we returned to the airport to continue to Paderborn-Lippstadt. There was a light drizzle, but the visibility and cloud base were further no factor for the route. Upon arrival we stored the plane in an available hangar, and after some time Laurence arrived to take us home.
Departure from Bremen airport
Joris steering the plane
Final runway 24 Paderborn-Lippstadt